Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Some More Perspective

Recently, I wrote about Samantha Burton being forced to submit to bed rest and a c-section, and I basically said that both parties probably made some poor decisions, and maybe it would have been better if both mom and OB had quit their working relationship and mom had found another care provider.

Then, Mom's Tinfoil Hat made a comment-turned-post in her blog, and had a point I found interesting: just because a woman is smoking doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't care about herself or her baby, or even that she's headed for disastrous consequences. I particularly like when she said,

"We all have our priorities. Exercise has also been associated with pregnancy loss. I wonder what you think of women who are selfish enough to take epilepsy meds."

Whether Samantha was making the right decisions or not isn't the focus of the court; the point to her case is that she was barred from exercising her right to choose her own course of action. The writer of another article about Samantha's situation (which I can't put my fingers on right now) said something to the effect of, "At what point do women's decisions render them incubators and wards of the state?"

I've been thinking a lot about smoking in pregnancy, and a client of mine recently let me know that she was smoking through probably about her 20th week of pregnancy, tapering back slowly until she had quit altogether. My personal decision to not serve women who are pregnant and still smoking seemed to dissipate suddenly when she told me this - I had been offering her support through her pregnancy already, and her smoking status didn't change the fact that I've helped her thus far by providing research, information and resources to her. Maybe she needed my support in these ways while she worked through her decision to quit smoking, and maybe without my support she wouldn't have made it to the point of quitting. And even if she didn't quit, she still needs me at her birth, I'm her primary point of support (after her medical care provider).

This is all very thought provoking. I think I'll go ruminate upon it all some more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment