Sunday, January 31, 2010

Oh, Baby.

Flipping channels, I came across a show about some famous socialite named Kendra. I have no idea who this person is, and I really don't care - then, before I clicked to the next channel, I notice that this woman, Kendra, is in the hospital, and obviously pregnant. Like a train wreck, I couldn't look away as I watched the program's presentation of her labor, watched her lie in bed for 24 hours with Pitocin and an epidural, only to end up with a c-section.

Smiling doctor telling her the day before she was induced, "We've given her something to help her get some rest, since she'll have a big day tomorrow..." Every time marker in the footage, she's still lying in bed, in the same position... Smiling doctor reappearing at the 23 hour mark, saying "You've been a trooper, and baby looks fine on the monitors, but it's time to go have a baby..." Wheeling her to the OR five hours after that... Kendra saying, "9 pounds, 5 ounces, no wonder I needed a c-section!..."

I get so angry, sometimes, the way the medical system can manipulate parents into doing things their way. The calm, rational part of me reminds me that this is an example of parents who's birth experience was peripheral to the fact that a baby was born. I understand, and I respect that. But... I feels a deep sadness for the lost and beautiful experience they missed out on.

To bring myself back to a happy place, I came across news that Gisele Bundchen had her baby at home in the water. (-:

0 comments:

Post a Comment