Monday, November 2, 2009

In the beginning...

A long time ago, a voice teacher told me to always introduce myself as "I am," and not "My name is..." Of the two phrases, she said, I am is more powerful, more resolute and present. The lesson has always stuck with me, and so, here's who I am:

I am a woman who became a doula without knowing what the word meant, or that there was even a word. In 2008, a friend asked me to be her labor coach, because her husband, who's in the US Army, would be stationed elsewhere when she gave birth. Being an intimate part of her pregnancy, labor and birth experiences transformed us both. After her daughter was born, I found myself still researching things birth-related. I thought, This is over, why am I still neck-deep in websites and books about mothers and babies? Then, I came across a site for a doula service in Ann Arbor, MI: Center for the Childbearing Year, LLC. I read the explanation posted to the Center's website describing the doula's role, and a steeple bell sounded in my head. I wanted to be more than a one-time labor coach - I wanted to be a doula.

I am without children of my own. Before witnessing birth, I never thought of myself as a potential parent - being a mom was the furthest thing from my mind, because I didn't see my parenting potential. Practicing a doula's skills has shown me otherwise - by becoming invested in others, as a doula or a friend or a loved one, those parts of me that are mothering come forward and flourish. Being a doula makes me more me. And that's a big part of my personal philosophy: I believe I'm here on earth to reach my potential through experience.

I am deeply concerned about the state of our birth culture in the United States. Typically in my country, women are advised at every turn by doctors, family members, friends - complete strangers often have some opinion to offer, whether it's solicited or not. Even after a baby is born, the influx of opinions, facts, falsehoods, and well-meant anecdotes don't stop, until parents can feel incapable in the face of a mountain of other people's words. I think it's time to let parents chart their own course toward becoming a family by allowing them the opportunity to ask questions and seek truths for themselves. I believe a woman's birth experience doesn't begin with a medical care provider's office - it starts when she becomes invested and involved in the experience of her birth.

I am a DONA-trained doula, working toward certification. (As of this post, I'm only one birth and a little bit of paperwork away from being certified, yipee!!) Being a member of the world's largest certifying organization of doulas is something I'm proud of; anyone can be a doula with the right experiences, but I think experience partnered with my DONA training gives me something extra, makes me more ready than your typical 'newbie doula.'


I am Erinn, and I'm very excited to be opening this blog!

0 comments:

Post a Comment