Monday, February 6, 2012

Waiting for the lights to change

This morning, on my way to work, a traffic light right before the interstate exchange turned yellow, then red. I slowed to a stop, and watched the cars flow through the intersection. Then, an unusual thought crossed my mind: What do I do when stopped at a light?

My usual behavior at lights is to watch for signs that my light will be turning green. Cross-walk signals are good indicators; one can usually see the cross-walk when it starts to blink and count-down the remaining walk time for pedestrians. On streets lacking cross-walks, sometimes the light for the opposing traffic is peripherally visible.

I think this is a way to pass the time. Having something to do while I wait is a benefit; my mind prefers to be engaged. Also, I'm proactive about remaining consciously aware at lights, because I don't want to be that person who "zones-out" and doesn't realize that the light has turned green and it's time to go again. My immediate opinion about this behavior is, I just think it's more responsible to be alert in that situation.

One thing I noticed while I was waiting and watching is the physical effect of this activity. There's a definite feeling of anticipation, followed by a surge of tingles when I've received some indicator of the impending light change; finally, I feel a release of tension when the light is green.

As I drove forward, I contemplated this observance. Pause-surge-release is a repeating pattern in other places in my life. I could see it in stress reactions I've experienced in the past. And in conversations: I listen; there's a build-up of words in my mind as I processed what I'm hearing; then, at the appropriate time, I speak those words.

There's also a parallel, here, with watching the ocean's tide, an activity I find mesmerizing. Sitting on the beach while the waves roll in and out again is so relaxing for me. It also puts me into a state like hypnosis.

Watching a woman labor, I see pause-surge-release. There's a moment when her body, after resting, pauses its movement; then her body language shows me the first grip of her contraction, which builds and peaks; finally, the squeeze releases and she rests again.

This reminds me of the Hypnobabies tracks - the hypnotherapist says something along the lines of, We slip into self-hypnosis all the time, like when we're driving home on 'auto-pilot' and thinking about other things as we do so. In true multi-tasking fashion, I have experienced instances when I've 'awoken' from my drive hypnosis to realize that I'm watching for light change signals. That behavior has become part of my drive process.

The more I think about it, the more drawn toward hypnosis for childbirth I become.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Errin,

Christina from ChristinaPurls here. Just stopping by to say thank you for the post about the spammer on my blog. I'm very new at this and appreciate the help :)

Thanks again :)

Post a Comment